The First Baptist Church of Stockdale
Marker Text: Stockdale Baptists organized their church in 1874 in a picket building. They met there or in a mill house or schoolhouse for years. The Rev. L.S. Cox was the first pastor. In 1885, under pastor E.N. Norwood. The congregation erected its first church building, but this soon (1886) was damaged in a storm. Services were held in a cotton warehouse while the church was being built, under leadership of the Rev. Charles Bowes, the present building was completed in 1953. The Rev. Charles Young was pastor (1966) when current parsonage was erected on site of the 1885 church.
Stewardship and enrollment have growth during the century. The congregation began in 1916 to sponsor a Mexican mission, erecting a mission hall in 1919. Present mission church was built in 1964, during the pastorate of the Rev. Kenneth Wellman.
The congregation has ordained several ministers: the Rev. Marshal Smith (1918), the Rev. Celestino Grasciotti (1924), the Rev. Bryan Teague (1928), Rev. Jesse Jasso (in the mission, 1962). The Rev. Antonio Del Carmen (1978), and the Rev. Crus Casarez (1973). The Rev. John Hallum is the present pastor. (1974)
Marker No: 1678
Aluminum 27 x 42 Subject Marker
Geographic: 29.234278, -97.962608
Location: On Seventh Street, 2 blocks south of Main Street, Stockdale.