Marker Text: After an 1886 Indian raid on their nearby Little Creek home, R. H. Kincheloe and family moved here, built a home and in 1873 a 2-story rock store. They platted town as "Montana", giving land for churches, school, and community square. Post office moved from Waresville in 1883. Methodists had church here before town was founded. Baptists organized their church in 1888. Church of Christ congregation relocated here, 1902.
New name praising climate was chosen by Postmaster George Barker. Stores and shops were built. Town is now a center for ranching, retirement, vacationing. Marker sponsored by citizens of Utopia. (1971)
Marker No: 5617
Aluminum 18 x 28 Subject Marker
Geographic: 29.616838, -99.526840
Location: In Utopia: On East Main Street (Highway 187) across from general store